This website is administered by the Barbara Bush Foundation for Family Literacy on behalf of the Adult Literacy and Learning Impact Network (ALL IN) and in cooperation with ALL IN’s member organizations. Throughout the site, the terms “we,” “us,” and “our” refer to the Barbara Bush Foundation as the website operator, as well as to the Adult Literacy and Learning Impact Network.
Last Modified: November 8, 2022
COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Personal information is information that can be used to directly or indirectly identify you. Personal information also includes anonymous information that is linked to information that can be used to directly or indirectly identify you. Personal information does not include information that has been irreversibly anonymized or aggregated so that it can no longer enable us, whether in combination with other information or otherwise, to identify you.
We may collect different kinds of personal information from or about you:
• Information you provide: We collect the personal information you provide—such as your name, phone number, and email address—when you use our website, Contact Us, register for our events, subscribe to our newsletters online, apply for employment, interact with us at in-person events, or otherwise interact with us.
• Donations: If you make a donation, we collect personal information in connection with the donation. This information includes payment information, such as your credit or debit card number and other card information, and billing and contact details, required to process your donation with our payment processor(s). We will not sell, share or trade our donors’ names or personal information with any other entity, nor send mailings to our donors on behalf of other organizations.
• Information about use of our website: When you visit our website we may collect information about the type of device you use, your device’s unique identifier, the IP address of your device, your operating system, the type of Internet browser that you use, usage information, diagnostic information, browsing information, and location information from or about the computers, phones, or other devices on which you install or access our products or services. We may gather some of this information automatically.
• Information from third parties: We use third-parties, including advertising networks, analytics providers, hosting providers and search information providers from whom we may also receive general, aggregated, anonymous information about you. We may also receive your personal information through referrals from others who believe you would like to support our cause. We may combine data about you with data that is available from other sources, including publicly available sources.
USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Generally speaking, we use information to provide, improve, and develop our website and services, to communicate with you, and to protect us and our website visitors. We collect, process, and determine how to process your information as data controller for the following purposes:
• Communicating with you: We use your information to process and respond to your requests when you contact us; to communicate with you about your donations or employment applications; and to inform you about our policies and terms. Subject to your prior express consent, we may use personal information to send you marketing communications or provide you with more information about our organization. If you no longer wish to receive email communications for marketing purposes, please Contact Us to opt out. We may use your information to process and respond to your requests when you contact us.
• Providing, improving, and developing our website and services: We use personal information to help us provide, improve, and develop our website and services. This includes using personal information for purposes such as data analysis, research, and audits. Such processing is based on our legitimate interest in offering you services and for business continuity.
• Offering and measuring targeted advertisements and services: Subject to your prior express consent, we may use personal information to personalize your experience with our services, on third-party websites and applications, and to determine the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns.
• Promoting safety and security: We use personal information to help verify payment transactions, as well as to promote safety and security, such as by monitoring fraud and investigating suspicious or potentially illegal activity or violations of our terms or policies. Such processing is based on our legitimate interest in helping ensure the safety of our services or on a requirement to comply with a relevant legal obligation.
COOKIES AND SIMILAR TECHNOLOGIES
You can remove or reject cookies using your browser or device settings, but in some cases doing so may affect your ability to use our website.
DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We make certain personal information available to strategic partners that work with us to provide our services or help us market our services. Personal information will only be shared by us with these parties in order to provide or improve our services and advertising; it will not be shared with third parties for their own marketing purposes without your prior express consent. We may also share personal information with corporate affiliates and in case of corporate business transfers, and for purposes of legal compliance and security.
We may share personal information with companies that provide services on our behalf, such as website hosting; email services; marketing; sponsoring of promotions; auditing; payment processing; data analytics; providing customer support; conducting customer research and satisfaction surveys; and other services that assist in providing our services. These companies are obligated to protect your information and may be located wherever we operate.
Affiliates and Business Transactions
We may share personal information with all of our affiliated companies. In the event of a merger, reorganization, acquisition, joint venture, assignment, transfer, or disposition of all or any portion of our organization we may transfer any and all personal information to the relevant third party.
Legal Compliance and Security
We may disclose personal information, as necessary by law, or as a result of legal process, litigation, or requests from public or governmental authorities within or outside your country of residence. We may also disclose personal information if we determine that for purposes of national security, law enforcement or other issues of public importance, disclosure is necessary or appropriate. We may also disclose personal information if we determine in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect our rights and pursue available remedies, enforce our terms and conditions, investigate fraud, or protect our operations or clients.
YOU’RE ACCESS AND CONTROL OVER INFORMATION
Depending on where you live, you may have the rights described below. You have the right to access, correct, or delete the personal information that we collect. You are also entitled to object, at any time, to the further processing of your personal information. You have the right to receive your personal information in a structured and standard format. You may lodge a complaint with the competent data protection authority regarding the processing of your personal information.
To protect the privacy and the security of your personal information, we may request information from you to enable us to confirm your identity and right to access such information, as well as to search for and provide you with the personal information we maintain. There are instances where applicable laws or regulatory requirements allow or require us to refuse to provide or delete some or all of the personal information that we maintain.
You may CONTACT US to exercise your rights. We will respond to your request in a reasonable timeframe, and in any event in less than 30 days.
California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, California law permits you to request information regarding the disclosure of your personal information to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please CONTACT US and include “California Privacy Rights Request” in the first line of the request.
THIRD PARTY WEBSITES AND SERVICES
INFORMATION SECURITY, INTEGRITY, AND RETENTION
We take reasonable technical, administrative, and physical security precautions to protect and prevent unauthorized access to your information.
It is important that you take precautions to protect against unauthorized access to your information and computers or other devices. If you feel that the security of your personal information has been compromised in connection with our services, please immediately Contact Us. Please be aware that, despite our efforts, no security system is impenetrable. In the event of a security breach, we will promptly notify you and the proper authorities if required by law.
INFORMATION TRANSFERS, STORAGE, AND PROCESSING GLOBALLY
If applicable, when we share your personal information with our partners, affiliates, and service providers, your personal information may be transferred to and/or made accessible from countries out of the European Economic Area. In such circumstances, we will enter into model contractual clauses as adopted by the European Commission, or rely on alternative legal bases such as the Privacy Shield, where applicable, or binding corporate rules where our partners or service providers have adopted such internal policies approved by European data protection authorities.
USE OF TEXT AND IMAGES
If you would like to publish information that you find on our website, please send your request to INFO@BARBARABUSH.ORG. Where text or images are posted on our site with the permission of the original copyright holder, a copyright statement appears at the bottom of the page. Information about using our logo and images is available in Media Resources.
This website is designed to be accessible to visitors with disabilities, and to comply with federal guidelines concerning accessibility. We welcome your comments. If you have suggestions on how to make the site more accessible, please contact us at INFO@BARBARABUSH.ORG.
We do not knowingly collect, use, or disclose information from children under 16. If we learn that we have collected the personal information of a child under 16—or the equivalent minimum age depending on the jurisdiction, such as 13 in the United States—we will take steps to delete the information as soon as possible. Please immediately CONTACT US if you become aware that a child under 16 has provided us with personal information.
If you have any questions about this privacy statement, the practices of this site, or your dealings with this Web site, you can contact us at: INFO@BARBARABUSH.ORG.